The origin of hook-shaped trees in the forest

May 26, 2011 · 11 comments

I don’t know why the trees grow in this particular way. I can only assume. Quite possibly, when these trees were “young”, they were damaged by some insect, people or an explosion in a way that their trunks broke to the point where they leant against the ground, but still holding together. Since the trunks were not completely broken apart, the trees had some limited nutrition and took some time to rise up from horizontal to vertical position. That could explain it.

Do you have a better explanation?

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and RSS

Leave your comment!

You might also like these posts on other blogs:

{ 11 comments }

Rob May 26, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Chronic flooding with strong flowing water?

admin May 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm

@Rob, if this was the case, the soil would probably look different and some trees would show roots close to the soil surface.

Ashlea May 27, 2011 at 6:34 am

My sunflower plants have grown up like this. I think it has to do with the soil and how the seedling has pushed up through it.

christopher June 7, 2011 at 7:22 am

I grow beans and sunflowers in my garden that look like this. It has been my observation that the during the initial growth of the plant, their head is very heavy, causing them to grow laterally. In time, the stalk begins to thicken to the point where it is able to lift the head vertically. But the initial lateral stalk doesn’t stretch, it only thickens; giving me plants that look like those trees.

On the opposite end of the life of the plants, I have some romain lettuce in my garden that falls to the ground once it begins to produce seeds. The lettuce does this when the stalk is about 2 feet tall. Once it the stalk falls to the ground, it will then begin to grow skyward until it flowers. It is my assumption in this scenario that this is an effective method for self propagation. With each fall, the seeds move another 2 feet away from the parent. After several seasons a single plant will have successfully turned itself in to a good sized lettuce patch.

christopher June 7, 2011 at 7:26 am

One more observation: Given the acute angle where the trunk closest to the ground transitions to horizontal growth, I would assume that they fell that way during a second phase of growth; with the angle becoming more pronounced as the trunk thickened. More like my lettuce than my beans. 🙂

Regardless; I was sent here by stumbleupon. Cool find!

kotu June 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm

it’s in Poland… “Krzywy Las” (eng. Curved Forest) ppl dont know rly why trees looks like that, there is bieleve trees was shaped while grown to be use in woodworks

IKnowBetter June 16, 2011 at 8:16 am

A website called “Today i learned something NEW” and the sentence “I don’t know why the trees grow in this particular way.” do not go together! If you dont know it, shut the fuck up. If you nevertheless want to write something about it, use google/wikipedia/whatever to find out what its about and then write something that ppl can actually learn something.

do you really? June 19, 2011 at 6:21 am

did you know there were trees shaped like that? I sure didn’t… i’d say i learned something new. Take a chill pill dude.

Cwrwda July 1, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Most likely these trees were deliberately shaped like this for ship building. There is a major river nearby that links this central region of Poland to the Baltic Sea.

itchy bites July 3, 2011 at 11:35 pm

@Cwrwda, whether it is true or not, it’s a great idea.

april.h July 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: