Characteristics of beautiful faces of women and men

November 14, 2010 · 18 comments

Is your face beautiful?

A German University of Regensburg conducted a study on the characteristics of beautiful faces of men and women. The study looked at a selection of people ranked as attractive and unattractive. The researchers defined common features in both groups and as a result, created the prototypes of attractive and unattractive faces of men and women. Below are the findings of this research.

Characteristic features of the female “sexy face” in comparison to the “unsexy face”:

- Suntanned skin
- Narrower facial shape
- Less fat
- Fuller lips
- Slightly bigger distance of eyes
- Darker, narrower eye brows
- More, longer and darker lashes
- Higher cheek bones
- Narrower nose
- No eye rings
- Thinner lids

Characteristics of the male “Sexy face” in the comparison to the “unsexy face”:

- Browner skin
- Narrower facial shape
- Less fat
- Fuller and more symmetrical lips
- Darker eye brows
- More and darker lashes
- Upper half of the face broader in relation to the lower
- Higher cheek bones
- Prominent lower jaw
- More prominent chin
- No receding brows
- Thinner lids
- No wrinkles between nose and corner of the mouth

Do you agree with the findings?

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and RSS

Leave your comment!

You might also like these posts on other blogs:

{ 16 comments }

Kelsey June 8, 2011 at 4:09 am

I’d go for the “sexy” girl, the “unsexy” girl, and the “unsexy” guy. The “sexy” guy is not really to my liking; he looks like he should be in a Gilette commercial.

neslihan December 16, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I agree with Kelsey i’d go for the sexy girl but the sexy guy is not my type ….I’d rather choose the unsexy guy he’s more my type

Alex May 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Not trying to be the “Devil’s Advocate” or anything here, I just want to say that all of you who are saying that you wouldn’t go for the “sexy” guy are pretty much lying to yourselves.
It doesn’t make you shallow to recognize beauty or like attractive people. On the flip side it doesn’t make you edgy or a “rebel” if you go for the “un-sexy” guy. This study is just making generalizations, there’s nothing wrong with that, and if you ask me, they’re pretty dead-on.

KB May 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm

The ‘unsexy’ guy is more attractive.

jojo October 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm

These rules of attractiveness aren’t set in stone, but they are pretty accurate. Perhaps you don’t like the look of models, celebs and actors/actresses – that’s personal preference and having a certain association and preconception of a certain face-type influences one’s attraction: Maybe your amazing first boyfriend ‘benchmark’ wasn’t typically attractive so you’re cool with other guys of a similar look or you feel all ‘hot’ girls are shallow and heartless and so less attractive?

I’m glad we have people here who say they like the less attractive faces. But, FACT: other than the reasons I mentioned, if you are attractive you won’t seek out an unattractive potential partners UNLESS they offer something to make up for their shortcomings- amazing personality, money etc.

Based on looks alone. Hot people date hot people, less attractive equally seek equals. That is pretty much how people work whether we like it or not. Accept it!

Jason October 28, 2012 at 2:23 am

THANK YOU. All these people are lying to themselves.

mahsa November 17, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Agreed with jojo

jc November 18, 2012 at 12:47 am

I find all your answers to be true because its how you feel and what your opinions are. I have to say for jojo im not a very attractive person but i have an incredibly attractive boyfriend he was attracted to my “exotic” looks so i think some attractive people do look for less attractive people.

Maya April 2, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Is it me, or does anyone else feel that the “unsexy” guy looks so much more masculine than the “sexy” guy?

BekyV April 23, 2013 at 5:57 am

I think there is a difference between being attractive and what’s considered sexy…. I do agree that a narrower face is more attractive with men, as well as men with darker and longer eye lashes. I like for a guy to have tanner skin then the one shown above, actually a more olive complexion, with darker hair. Square jaws with men look very nice when it’s proportioned with a muscular or toned body. As far as the woman goes, I do agree that longer narrower noses are prettier. Her face is equal to her neck width which I think is prettier and her eyes are darker in comparison to her lighter skin which is a nice contrast. As for the “unattractive female” I don’t find her unattractive just plane, very very plane. She has no distinguishable features other than her very large eyes which I actually think are very cute. I don’t like the acronym sex being used in terms of attractiveness. Although the unsexy guy is just that unsexy….. My ideal male face would differ just slightly from the one on the left the chin would be less prominent, and the cheek bones more prominent over the lower jaw, and the eyes wider just a bit, and the lips a just a bit fuller.

Appealing and less appealing

Crystal A. June 4, 2013 at 6:14 am

and there’s the great power of make-up and photoshop…tbh i am going to use this when i’m highlighting and contouring for events

Mike June 4, 2013 at 6:32 am

Thank you, Could not have said it better myself, 5 *.

Mike June 4, 2013 at 6:35 am

Neanderthals need love too, I guess, but I joking aside I think the right side faces are average looking.

Mike June 4, 2013 at 6:47 am

True but the Plain looking lady would make an excellent spy, her appearance does not draw attention to herself. This is one area where an average looking person has the advantage most of the time.

Mike June 4, 2013 at 6:53 am

Agreed, but wouldn’t an attractive person find an equally attractive person average?

Sylvia June 14, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Hurrah! Finally I got a web site from where I know how to truly obtain useful facts
regarding my study and knowledge.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }